January 15, 2021
By News Director Jared Atha
Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt announced Thursday that federal emergency assistance has been approved for 16 more Oklahoma counties, including area counties in western and southwest Oklahoma that were paralyzed for days by the October winter storm.
In a statement, Stitt said aid had been approved for counties including Custer, Washita, and Jackson.
That now makes twenty-nine counties eligible for assistance. Aid was previously approved for 13 counties including Roger Mills and Kiowa.
The multi-day storm left up to two inches of ice in some areas, hundreds of thousands without power and millions of dollars in damage. In the first 13 counties approved for aid alone, the storm caused an estimated $30 million in damage and debris removal costs.
Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management and Homeland Security said damage appraisals were ongoing in some counties., and the state will request aid for additional counties as needed.